Thursday, May 07, 2015

Lung spot

When I had heart surgery last year, Kaiser had a radiologist look at my X-rays. That radiologist found a 2+ cm spot on my lung. A PET scan was ordered to check that spot out.

There are several kinds of scanning machines that medical people use. Two of those machines, an MRI and PET Scan are long machines where a patient's entire body is inside the machine during the test. For a guy like me who is subject to claustrophobia, I have to be pretty well knocked out with medication in order to go thru either an MRI or PET Scan without freaking out.

Some doctors are simply NOT understanding of what kind of medication a claustrophobic patient needs. My primary care doctor at Kaiser apparently is one of those "NOT understanding" type doctors. When I went for my PET Scan, I freaked out and got out of that machine and refused to take that test. The medication was nowhere near strong enough for me!

This week I changed my Kaiser primary care doctor. My old primary care doc made too many mistakes with me and I got fed up with him.

My new primary care doc immediately picked up on my NOT completing that PET Scan! He insisted that I complete that test. However, he changed the test from a PET Scan to a Cat Scan. A Cat Scan is a much shorter machine than either the PET or MRI. I have had many CatScans before, and never had a problem with claustrophobia.

This afternoon I went to have that CatScan done and had no problem doing the test. The scan results will be delivered to my new primary care doc in a couple of days. Those results will determine if I need to have anything else done.

Not too concerned
I am not too concerned about a 2 cm spot on my lung. I underwent chemotherapy for 4th stage Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma cancer in 2002. That cancer came very close to killing me. The chemo treatment disabled many of my muscles for more than five years after treatment stopped! Especially affected were my leg muscles.


9 comments:

  1. I've done the MRI, CT scan, and bonedensity scan. I think the MRI was the freakiest. Loud and claustrophobic, but I managed. It's not for every one.
    It's interesting that they were able to cure your Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma with chemo. My father-in-law couldn't be cured in the course of his treatment back in 1991. He died in December of that year. The treatment has come a long way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My experience with Oncologists has been that there a few extremely talented oncologists, and then there are all the rest. I always believed that I got really lucky with my oncologist.

      When I received chemo treatment, the odds were 45% chance to live, 55% chance to die. Here I am 13 years later, still vertical and above the ground!

      George

      Delete
  2. I just had to MRI test done in the last 6 months I am claustrophobic
    I had the Open MRI and had no problem whatsoever I wonder why this was not suggested to you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best wishes for a good test outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you changed your doc. I just changed mine too, and have more confidence in the new guy - glad your new doctor is more understanding. Good luck with the test results. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. George, just interested in which Kaiser location you're using and do you have a homebase there? I have experienced similar problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynda,
      I am enrolled in Kaiser-Southern California. The apartment where I am living is in La Mesa, California.

      If you are not satisfied with your primary care doctor at Kaiser, it is very easy to get a new primary care doctor. You may do the switching online or by phone.

      Delete
  6. I'm praying for you, George. Blessings, Lynn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynn,
      I have not heard back from Kaiser on the results of my lung CatScan. I have an appointment this coming Tuesday with a doctor who is a pulmonologist.

      Thank you for your prayers!

      George

      Delete

Comments