Yesterday I was looking online at my bank account and saw a pending charge that I did not recognize! A fraudulent charge! :( Phoning my bank to report this event, I was told that the best thing to do was to cancel that card number! So that is what I did.
However, I had several companies to whom I had given that now cancelled credit card number. So, I had to go online to each of these companies and give them a new credit card number. That took me about an hour to do. What a pain!
This morning that pending charge changed to a regular charge. I phoned my bank and filed a dispute against it. Then I went to a branch of my bank and got a new debit card from them. Then I went to the ATM and withdrew some cash to make sure that my new debit card worked.