Friday, December 03, 2010


9AM - Doctor appointment!
This morning I've an appointment to see Steven Young, M.D., F.A.C.S.  Doctor Young is a General, Laparoscopic, and Trauma Surgeon.  I'm seeing Doctor Young because I've developed a Spigelian hernia on my right side about the same level as my stomach [link].

This hernia first appeared sometime during last spring.  When I mentioned this hernia to Doctor Andrew Smith, my urologist, he referred me to Doctor Young.  Always a good thing to go to a doctor recommended by another doctor.  I learned that in high school!

Although my appointment with Doctor Young is for 9am, I arrived at 8:30am, one-half hour early.  Somehow I got messed up with the time.  I wanted to arrive at 8am, but the heavy morning traffic made me late!  It is a good thing that I got messed up with the time, because if I did not get messed up, I would have been 1/2 hour late instead of 1/2 hour early.  Wow!  [Is that confusing you?]

Coming early gave me the opportunity to go across the street to the John Muir Medical Center's "Vista Restaurant".  Vista has a very nice buffet that serves a good breakfast for a reasonable price.

Spigelian hernia
Doctor Young explained to me that a Spigelian hernia is potentially dangerous.  These hernias usually protrude from a small hole in the tissue thru which an intestine may emerge.  If the intestine twists during protrusion, it may strangle causing a bad situation.

I was thinking about having this hernia repair on my return to the USA next April.  However, Doctor Young insisted that the repair be done immediately to avoid serious complications.  So, I am going to have this hernia repaired sometime during the next week or two.

Tests at John Muir Medical Center
Doctor Young's staff gave me the prescription forms to get the required tests for this laparoscopic hernia repair surgery [link].  There are four blood tests, a chest X-ray and an EKG.  By 1pm, I had taken all these tests and passed with flying colors!

After leaving John Muir Hospital, I had a bunch of errands to do including grocery shopping at the Safeway.  I did not arrive back at Dave's home until after 6pm.  That's when I made this post to you so you would know what I've been up to today.